- 1 whole turkey 4-5kg, neck and giblets removed
- 1 cup salt
- 65g butter, melted
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Rub turkey inside and out with salt. Place turkey in a large stock pot, cover with cold water. Refrgerate and soak 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Rinse turkey thoroughly and discard brine.
- Brush with ½ melted butter. Place breast side down on a rack in a baking tray. Stuff turkey cavity with ½ onion, carrots, celery, thyme and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the baking tray and cover with the white wine.
- Roast uncovered 2½ to 3 hrs in pre heated oven until juices run clear when thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer. (internatl temp of 85°C if you have a meat thermometer).
- Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time and brush with the remaining butter.
- Allow turkey to stand for 30 minutes before carving.