- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 medium turkey drumsticks, skin on
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250ml chicken stock
- 500 ml water
- 400ml tomato puree
- 1 tbs fresh rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained, coarsley chopped
- 2 x 400g jars roasted red capsicum, drained and cut into thick slices
Turkey drumsticks are very economical, although it can be difficult to know the best way to cook them. Give them the right treatment and you’ll be rewarded with meltingly tender and full-flavoured delicious meat.
- Heat oil in a large deep pot over medium heat (a heavy cast-iron casserole is ideal). Cook drumsticks, turning frequently, until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until onion softens. Add the stock, water, tomato puree, rosemary and anchovies and bring to the boil. Return turkey to the pot, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until turkey is tender and starts to come away from the bone.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the capsicum slices to the pot to heat through.
- Serve drumsticks with mashed potatoes.